Wow this year is going FAST! It could do with slowing down a little to be honest; I hope the next three months don’t go as quickly as the last three. But anyway, it might be a week late but welcome to my latest Currently Loving post, an opportunity for me to present ten of my favourite things right now. For April I have some clothing, some food, a magazine, and a few little things that represent much bigger things.
1. I am really enjoying wearing shirts at the moment. I always have, really, but even more so at the moment. The white one under everything is that Craghoppers Khahi shirt that the lovely people over at Outdoor Look sent me to try out, which I’ve found is perfect for under my motorbike jacket and for when out hiking. The green one is a fairly recent FatFace purchase, a slouchy cotton shirt that is so easy to throw on with jeans. I am certain you’ll see both a lot over the next few weeks, as I’ve only got room for limited clothing on our road trip and these two are already on the “must find space for” pile.
2. My productivity soars when I’m listening to good music, and right now I’m loving nothing more than enjoying film soundtracks. Just stunning music. The CD in the photo is Filmworks, a collection of music by John Williams, who is probably one of the most well known film score composers of the present day – with ET, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Schindler’s List being just a few of his creations. My absolute favourite film score right now is Pirates of the Caribbean; instantly recognisable and descriptive music that I could listen to over and over again. Do you have a favourite film score?
3. Blogosphere Magazine might be on its eighth issue, but it’s my first. To be honest I thought it was hyped up way too much and thought it wouldn’t be that great, but when I spotted it in WHSmiths last week (do you watch my weekly vlogs?) I gave in and treated myself to a copy. I say “treated” as it’s a fiver, but it is nicely printed on good quality paper and is very nicely designed. I am impressed with the range of articles in it – not just bugging up the big bloggers but I could see people like me in there too. I’m not sure I’ll subscribe, but I certainly enjoyed this issue and will definitely look out for it in future months.
4. I hate my face. Really. It’s horrible. And so I’m always on the lookout for a great cleanser. I use Garnier Micellar Water to take off my make-up (see last month’s currently loving post), and then I’ve been using this Simple Oil Balancing Exfoliating Cleanser product to properly cleanse. I’m not sure it’s actually getting rid of my spots, I think I’ve realised that is quite impossible, but my skin feels really clean and well looked after when I’ve used it. I’m on tube three or four of this stuff now, which is always a good advert.
5. Ahhhh my passport. The little booklet that means I can leave and then re-enter the United Kingdom. And the thing that represents my freedom to travel around the world, exploring new places and going on trips that keep my mind full of new things. I love to travel, and yes the UK has lots to offer and plenty of places to explore, but there is something special about having the ability to jump on a plane or a boat and go somewhere that’s different and new just to see what’s there. I only wish I could do loads more of it, I definitely have the travel bug.
6. My little manual and service book is supposed to represent not only my BMW F650GS, but also motorcycle touring in general. It’s a good job it’s one of my favourite things this month really as at the end of the month I’ll be heading on the biggest motorcycle tour of my life so far. Riding a motorcycle makes my heart sing – it’s not about the speed (although I don’t mind that side of it!), but more about the feeling of freedom, the wind on my face, the joy of being a part of the journey and not just taking the journey. I honestly can’t wait for our Zartusacan adventure, and hope that it lives up to all the expectations I’ve placed on it.
7. I am fully aware that ordinary porridge oats are both cheaper and more healthy than these Oats So Simple Sachets, but a big bag of oats will never be as convenient. It’s actually the idea of “flavoured” porridge that’s on my currently loving list this month – something I’ve not bothered with at all in favour for a sprinkling of sugar, but when there was a variety box on offer and I gave the apple and blueberry ones a try I was converted! So good. And naturally sweetened with fruit. Yummy.
8. Mmmmm chocolate. I think when Malteasers took lots of little balls of biscuity goodness and soaked them in chocolate to make a bar they struck gold. Teasers are so yummy. Enough said.
9. Yes, that’s two sweet potatoes. Definitely one of my favourite foods right now. I must do my best not to eat so many that I go off them! I love the flavour, especially when they’re baked or roasted, and definitely appreciate that they are better for my body than a starchy white potato. These two particular examples are now baking in the oven to go with our sweet chilli chicken and broccoli Sunday lunch. Yum. What are your favourite sweet potato recipes? Let me know.
10. The orange Ordnance Survey Explorer OL1 Map covers the Dark Peak area of the Peak District National Park, a place that will always be on my favourites list. I love it there, and while it might be a bit of a drive to get there, it is just about close enough for a day hike and pub lunch on a sunny (or not so sunny) day off. If you want to know more, I’ve written day hike posts about Kinder Scout and Mam Tor. And if you’ve never visited, go!
What are your favourite things right now? Agree with any of my choices?
If you fancy it, you can see me show a few of my currently loving favourites at the end of my weekly vlog: