I really enjoy cycling. I’ve been riding a small full suspension hand-me-down for a while now and recently it’s been rattling more and more and just feels really unstable, like the whole thing is gonna fall apart next time I ride it. So I’ve been wanting a new one for a while… and finally today I ordered one yay!
I’m very pleased to have been able to go for something a bit better than basic – I’ve gone for this Carrera Vulcan Ladies MTB:
My new bike, which should be ready to collect from Halfords on Monday, has an aluminium frame, disc brakes, shimano gears and is white (not for long I’m sure!) 🙂
This is what Halfords say about it:
- Womens specific geometry, 7005 series aluminium frame is lightweight and tough, and provides the correct riding position
- Suntour XCT V2 100mm travel fork with an all new alloy monocoque lower smoothing out the roughtest of trails
- Female specific adjustable shorter brake levers specifically designed for female hands
- SRAM X4 shifters and rear mech provide an intelligent blend of performance and value
- Powerful Tektro IO Mechanical Disc brakes feature dual pad adjustment, automatic pad angle adjustment via floating plates and high performance metal ceramic pad compound
- The double wall alloy rims are wrapped in the Continental’s Speed King 2.1 tyres for added strength and extra grip
- Ladies specific ergonomically designed saddle for a comfortable ride
I know this isn’t a high-end bike by any stretch of the imagination (Carrera is a Halfords-exclusive brand), but I do believe (and have been told!) that it’s a lot of bike for my money (£240). And as there was no way I was gonna spend over £300/£500 or even £1000 on a bike this will do me just fine. Now of course I need lights, a cage/bottle, handlebar ends (personal preference!!), a new lid (my mushroom just isn’t going to cut it!), and a little bag to go under the saddle (I used to have one of these and it was really useful)… but all those things can wait for now.
This purchase is very timely as it should help me with my 10 Mile Challenge no end! I was worried I was going to have to start the challenge on Wednesday just running, and while I do plan to do some running I’m more likely to reach my weekly goal on two wheels. Read about the challenge here: http://splodzblogz.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/10-mile-challenge/
I can’t wait to get on it! I will, of course, post a review after I’ve been out on it a few times.
Oh, and bye bye old bike… it’s been fun 🙂