How fab that I got to take my currently loving photo outside this month! Thanks April for showing us what springtime should look like – blue skies, warmer days, colourful flowers, fresh grass, and much longer evenings. This month my currently loving is rather diverse, and even includes some make-up…
Currently Loving | April 2017
01. Jeans and I have a love-hate relationship. I struggle with them because my shape – short legs, big butt, large thighs, large calves – means I can’t wear anything that says “skinny” or even “slim” on the label. Those just don’t have enough material. Gap used to do a “curvy straight” style which worked for me, but they’re now looking old and worn and I really needed a new pair. After weeks, maybe months of trying on what felt like hundreds of pairs from the high street, I recently discovered this new style from Gap – “sexy boyfriend fit”. Boyfriend jeans do normally fit me but they are not particularly flattering – they just look too relaxed and so a bit scruffy. But these are slightly more fitted, but still with enough material to be comfortable. I got them from my local Gap outlet and can’t find them on the website so no doubt the style will disappear soon, but for now I’m happy!
02. Ooo make-up. And good make-up at that! It’s the Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. I recently plumped up the courage to get one of their free ten day trials (“courage” because I do feel out of place in the beauty section of the department store, really out of place), probably the most famous full coverage foundation around, and I am totally sold. I mean, it works. The coverage is great for my blotchy skin and doesn’t clog me up (any more than I already am), it stays in place all day even when I’m outdoors having fun, and it makes me feel like I kind of look okay. But it is £31 for 30ml, which is pricey, so I hope in a month’s time I’m still saying I love this! I bought mine from Debenhams.
03. I am permanently attached to my mobile, and because iPhone batteries are appalling, I always carry extra battery power whenever I go out. This power bank was a gift from VARTA, and it’s been so handy. Much smaller than my other power bank, it is small and light to carry around, and give me just about two charges of my iPhone – perfect for a day out when I know I’ll be using the maps, camera and internet. It’s this one over on Amazon.
04. My leg muscles ache pretty much all the time, and I’m always on the look out for things that will help. Magnesium is apparently incredibly good, and having used these Better You Magnesium products for a few weeks now I can confirm they are definitely making a difference. I actually won these and a couple of other related bits in a competition run by Jason Rawles (go check his site out – he’s also a GetOutside Champion and will have you outside in an instant!). I’m finding the body lotion particularly nice; combining hydration with ache busting properties.
05. It wouldn’t be a currently loving post without snacks. Mmmm snacks. I’ve mentioned Clif Bars before, but they’ve returned here because I’m in love with a new flavour. The Peanut Butter Crunch is my all time favourite and has been for a while, but the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut is so good. Natural and with protein, they are great for when you’re on the go, and make the perfect thing to take on road trips just in case you can’t find anywhere to buy lunch at a convenient time.
06. Real Handful very kindly sent me a box of their little snack bags to try out, and boy are they moreish! Each one has nuts, dried fruit and other bits that make the perfect pick-up when you need something to keep you going. GORP (good old raisins and peanuts) is the original hiking snack, and these are a fantastic variation on that theme. The Blood Orange and Dark Chocolate one is my favourite, but I didn’t have any of those left by the time I took this photo – the Mixed Berry Crunch comes a close second. See all the flavours here.
07. This lovely little key ring was in the goodie bag I received after the Dean Wye Bloggers weekend (read about Puzzlewood here), and I absolutely love it. It was hand made at Hot Pot Pottery and has a leaf design on it. It’s nice to have a cute little memento of a good weekend.
08. One of the most important things to remember when you are camping, apart from your actual tent and sleeping gear of course, is some kind of light. Campsites are dark places, and so my well used VARTA battery lamp is super handy. But it’s actually the little one next to it that I’m including in my currently loving this time around. The black one is big and super bright and very sturdy, but it is bulky and heavy and if I’m travelling by motorbike (or hiking), I leave it at home. My new little one doesn’t provide the same as-bright-as-the-sun light for the whole tent, but it’s good enough, small, light, and fits in a motorcycle pannier a lot easier. And it’s cute!
09. Ooo new shoes! These are the Merrell Siren Sport Q2 Gore-Tex walking shoes, designed specifically for women who love to get out into nature. So, for me then! They are great for anything actually, commuting on foot, getting out on low level trails, walking on muddy footpaths, and generally just getting outside. They have a different feel to any of my other Merrell shoes I have and demonstrate a step up in women’s fit from this brand. Nice work.
10. These skate style shoes are from new-to-me-brand Lowa and were a gift. Part of their travel range, they’re called the San Luis GTX and are designed as an all day casual shoe. They have a flat sole and go well with my new jeans and mean I feel less like a hiker when I’m wandering around town. The main thing I love about them is that they are so light and well cushioned I can wear them all day and feel like I have been wearing my good walking shoes. And they’re fully waterproof too, which is always useful!
What are you currently loving this month? What do you think of my choices? Tell me in the comments below.
Want to see all my Currently Loving posts? This link should help.